FC3 "INIT: Id 1 respawning too fast..." message on boot

Thomas Cameron thomas.cameron at camerontech.com
Wed Feb 2 18:45:36 UTC 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeff Camp" <jcamp2 at cox.net>
To: <fedora-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Wednesday, February 02, 2005 11:20 AM
Subject: FC3 "INIT: Id 1 respawning too fast..." message on boot

> When my newly installed FC3 (2.6.9-1.667) system boots, everything looks
> good and I get a login prompt.  When I enter the user name it comes back
> with the "INIT: Id 1 respawning too fast, disabled for 5 min".  Afer a
> minute or so it gives the same message with "Id 2, 3.."
>
> Any suggestions where I should start?
>
> Jeff

This is usually an indicator that there is something wrong with your
/etc/inittab.  Look for the line that begins with "1" and see what init is
trying to respawn.  In my FC3 box it is /sbin/mingetty.  Do you have
/sbin/mingetty on your system?  Did you remove some packages, maybe
with --force or --nodeps?

Thomas