100% Linux - Is it possible?

Richard S. Crawford rscrawford at mossroot.com
Wed Feb 2 19:49:18 UTC 2005

Pete Choppin said:
> I was just looking for a consensus on this...
>
> I have been working with Fedora Core 3 for the past month.  My new years
> resolution was to learn Linux.  So far, so good.
>
> I created a dual-boot Fedora / Windows XP.  I am now seriously considering
> going completely 100% Linux and dumping my Windows partition entirely.
>
> The question is - can you live completely without Windows, or do you
> sooner or later have to resort to Windows again?

It's possible.  I long ago dual-booted my computer with FC2 and Win2K, and
I haven't been able to boot into Win2K since.  Yeah, I know I can fix it
easily, but I just haven't gotten around to it; it's been many months now,
and even before that I hadn't booted into Windows for several months.

Having said that, I do keep my Windows XP Laptop around, even though
that's dual-booted with FC3 as well.  I keep it because of my MP3 player,
a Creative Zen Nomad Xtra.  Gnomad works fine for moving files back and
forth to the player, but isn't very good at managing playlists.  I also
purchase audio books from Audible.com, and their desktop manager is not
available for Linux (I've considered trying Wine to try to run it on my
FC3 box, but haven't gotten around to it yet).  I'd guess that I use
Windows for a couple of hours a week, if that.

At work I'm stuck with Win2K, simply because we're a SQL Server shop and I
haven't found a way to manage the SQL Server database that doesn't involve
the Enterprise manager.  Outside of that, though, there is nothing I do at
work that I wouldn't be able to do with a Linux tool.

So yes, 100% Linux is quite possible.

--
Sláinte,
Richard S. Crawford (AIM: Buffalo2K)