100% Linux - Is it possible?

Marc M linuxr at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 19:51:07 UTC 2005

That's a very reasonable question.  It depends on how you are in one
direction or another on the reasonable/unreasonable continuum.  :)
Also depends on circumstances.  Unless you are like my (below)
scenario (institutional impositions -- back against the wall from
school or work - which we should do something about) -- you should
probably go ahead and switch completely and not look back.  Fedora
will do everything you want right out of the box.

I had windows Xtra Pussified version as a dual boot for awhile b/c I
was taking grad classes with a professor who imposed Microsoft-only
exercises on the class.  For 'safety' and not wanting to do an install
at 3 am in an emergency, I kept it around.  Now that I am out of the
class, I don't need windows at all, for anything.

Absolutely everything I can do with Linux, although sometimes I have
to ask lots of questions to get a similar/compatible application, or
to do something I am not used to.   As long as you keep a good
attitude of friendly experimentation, you should be fine.  THe people
who have problems are people who want Linux to 'do' everything 'for'
them.  For example, recently I ran into a limitation of
Openoffice.org, and people were talking about other word processing
apps on this list.  So I d/l' d some other applications (AbiWord and
another) and got them to do what I needed to do.

Some people want their hand held or throw tantrums when they have to
learn something.  That is not what Linux is about.  They are not
usually people that I want to be around anyway, and their technical
issues are usually stupid regardless.

Congratulations, Neo, on taking a step that many people never take for
one reason or another.  Do you want the red pill or the blue pill?

Cheers
Marc