100% Linux - Is it possible?

Gordon Keehn gordonkeehn at netzero.net
Wed Feb 2 19:53:00 UTC 2005

Pete Choppin wrote:

> I was just looking for a consensus on this...
>
> I have been working with Fedora Core 3 for the past month.  My new
> years resolution was to learn Linux.  So far, so good.
>
> I created a dual-boot Fedora / Windows XP.  I am now seriously
> considering going completely 100% Linux and dumping my Windows
> partition entirely.
>
> The question is - can you live completely without Windows, or do you
> sooner or later have to resort to Windows again?
>
> --
> Pete

    That depends entirely on what software you consider mission
critical, and how tightly you're bound to it.  I use Quicken to manage
my finances.  Latest releases don't run under wine, and I don't like the
available alternatives (e.g. gnucash) so I'll have at least one Windows
box around for the forseeable future.  For someone who is more flexible
or less entrenched than I the process of eliminating Windows could be a
lot easier.  You have to ask yourself three questions.  What software
(if any) can't I live without?  Can it run under Linux, directly or
through a compatibility layer like wine?  Are there acceptable
alternatives?  If you can answer those questions to your satisfaction,
you could be running Linux exclusively by tomorrow.
    Cheers,
Gordon Keehn