100% Linux - Is it possible?

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Wed Feb 2 21:01:25 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-02 at 14:38, Pete Choppin wrote:
> I was just looking for a consensus on this...
>
> I have been working with Fedora Core 3 for the past month.  My new
> years resolution was to learn Linux.  So far, so good.
>
> I created a dual-boot Fedora / Windows XP.  I am now seriously
> considering going completely 100% Linux and dumping my Windows
> partition entirely.
>
> The question is - can you live completely without Windows, or do you
> sooner or later have to resort to Windows again?

The simple answer is yes you can live quite well with just Linux.

The longer answer is that you need to assess the tasks and programs that
you use on a daily basis and find alternatives for each of those that
run under linux.  But most of the basics are available today.  About the
most glaring omission would be tax software that runs natively under
linux.  And now that Intuit has declared war on linux users by blocking
mozilla browsers from their web based service they make that job just
that much more difficult.

Aside from that the only other thing that you may consider lacking is if
you play a lot of games.  Mind you there are many games available under
linux and you can get many windows games to work under linux as well,
just don't be annoyed that the latest and greatest game does not work
under linux.

For those that don't play games that much there are very good
alternatives for everything else.

I just loaded FC3 on a new tecra m2 and that is the only OS on that
system.  It will be used for work and has all the capabilities I need.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

Put a rogue in the limelight and he will act like an honest man.
		-- Napoleon Bonaparte, "Maxims"