100% Linux - Is it possible?

Goose Gosswiller gooseg at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 2 21:50:00 UTC 2005

Pete Choppin <pchoppin <at> comcast.net> writes:

> I was just looking for a consensus on this...
>
> I have been working with Fedora Core 3 for the past month.  My new years
resolution was to learn Linux.  So far, so good.

> I created a dual-boot Fedora / Windows XP.  I am now seriously considering
going completely 100% Linux and dumping my Windows partition entirely.

> The question is - can you live completely without Windows, or do you sooner or
later have to resort to Windows again?

> --
> Pete

You can do without windows but it really depends on what you are doing.

I've been M$ free at home for some time, however, my wife refuses to use the
Linux machine. It's a prejudice based on what she is used to -- we all are
aflicted by it to some extent. As an example, Firefox and Thunderbird. Because
they run on Linux they must suck, so there is resistance to even look (though,
once I hid the IE icon from the desktop.....). Some of us welcome change, some
don't.  (I use Firefox and Thunderbird exclusively -- if I find an eCommerce
site that seems to require IE for their forms, I notify the vendor and I find a
competitor to do business with.)
The bottom line is you have to evaluate what you are doing and ensure that you
can continue to do it without windows.
I've found that on the homefront there is nothing I need to do that requires
windows.....I may have to install a package or an update, but I can always get
it done.
The workplace -- that is a different subject alltogether.....

cheers
goose