Fedora 1

Marc M linuxr at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 22:47:20 UTC 2005

WHenever a new kernel comes out, you can use either

# yum install <kernelname>       (installs just this package)

or you can use

# yum update      (installs updates to ALL packages for the entire machine(

That should take care of the kernel concerns.  To upgrade distribution
levels such as from FC3 to FC4, I prefer to do a full install each
time.  I have heard that you can do some other tricks, like burn the
first .iso install cd, then save the other .iso files to a place on
the hard drive where you point the install to, and just start the
install with the first cd.  Also try searching the archives on this
site for this topic, there have been a lot of good posts about
upgrades and intstallation methods.  With thumbdrives and such the
methods are definitely evolving.  Also we have discussed at length a
dual boot scenario, where you have FCx and FCy on a machine, then when
FCz comes out you blow away one of the existing installs.

Marc