How can I install & configure WINE under FC3?

Richard S. Crawford rscrawford at mossroot.com
Wed Feb 2 23:10:27 UTC 2005

Samuel Díaz García said:
> I was installed WINE, but I don't know how I can configure to install
> windows applications and run them after.
>
> Any help? Any interesting links?
>
> Had anybody used wine to install and play StarCraft?
>
> I had reading about a wine "clone", but I want use wine.

I was able to download and install the latest Wine build from the Wine
website, http://www.winehq.com/site/download-rh.  There is a Fedora Core 3
build on that page.  Download the rpm and install it with rpm -ivh.

I've only installed a couple of programs under Wine.  I downloaded the
.exe install executables (or inserted the Windows CD), cd'ed to the
directory where the install file was, and entered:

$ wine ./install.exe

(or whatever the install file is called.)

The first time you run it, I believe, it creates the drive_c directory
under ~/.wine where future programs will be installed.  When I run Remote
Admin Viewer on my FC3 box to view a Windows desktop at work, I run:

$ wine /home/richard/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Radmin/radmin.exe

This is all just stuff I figured out on my own, so I probably have gotten
something wrong somewhere.  radmin.exe is the only program I've managed to
get working under Wine so far; I haven't tried running any games.

Hope that helps.

--
Sláinte,
Richard S. Crawford (AIM: Buffalo2K)