Stuck at 'Configuring Kernel Parameters'

Deron Meranda deron.meranda at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 02:39:35 UTC 2005

> > > Unfortunately, now, when I reboot I get the following message after the
> > > initializing  audio etc message
> > > Configuring Kernel Parameters
> > >
> > > After this the system just refuses to budge forward. Its not hung as
> > > when I press enter the cursor moves to the next line.

At this point in the boot sequence the system is executing the
shell script /etc/rc.d./rc.sysinit

The following tasks are performed immediately after the message
"Configuring Kernel Parameters" and before the next output--assuming
graphical boot (rhgb) is not enabled:

   sysctl -e -p /etc/sysctl.conf
   /sbin/hwclock $CLOCKFLAGS

The $CLOCKFLAGS is determined based upon your /etc/sysconfig/clock
configuration file.

So, first I'd ask for what's in your config files,
  /etc/sysctl.conf
  /etc/sysconfig/clock

And exactly which kernel are you running (also SMP or single-processor).

Also note that the next task that's done right after messing with
the clock setting, is to run loadkeys.  That can potentially
change the way the low-level keyboard driver works.  Also I've
seen the loadkeys myself hang before; especially with buggy
USB keyboards, buggy motherboard BIOS's, and/or with KVMs.

So, also, what kind of keyboard are you using (PS/2 or USB,
and is it a non-English/US keyboard?); and are you using a
KVM?

And lastly, what's the contents of the config file,
/etc/sysconfig/keyboard
--
Deron Meranda