Linux Sun's JVM needs improvements

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Thu Feb 3 03:28:01 UTC 2005

Edward Yang wrote:
> Jim Cornette wrote:
>
>> Edward Yang wrote:

>>> Okay, I want to add more about Sun's JVM performance.
>>>
>>> I have posted a message to Sun's forum about the memory footprint of
>>> the JVM on FC3. Please visit
>>> http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=590956 for the message.
>>>

>> So if I understand this a bit, you are running Windows and then using
>> Microsoft virtual machine to run Fedora, then running a java virtual
>> machine and it is being a resource hog?
>>
>> Did you try to run RHL 8.0, then launch the microsoft virtual machine
>> program through wine to launch Fedora and see if the memory resources
>> are any better?
>>
>> Jim
>>

> Sorry, I think there is some misunderstanding about virutal techonology.
>
> In a virutal hardware box, the guest OS inside it does not know where it
> is. It may be a litter or much slower than in a real hardware box, but
> the memory footprint should never been any difference. That's why many
> developers use Microsoft Virutal PC or VMWare to test there programs.
> Think about it - you don't have to boot into another OS or go to another
> computer that may be 50 meters far just to test a small problem of your
> progarm!
>
> So I think I I have FC3 installed in a real hardware box, the memory
> footprint of the JVM will be the same.

You might try these tests using a real set of hardware. I did tests
using Vmware to convert a legacy machine up to the latest. The test
indicated that everything was fine.
I don't think that the virtual hardware is truely imitating real
hardware in all aspects.
I would trust tests using real hardware more than tests on virtual
machines. I have not had much trouble installing fedora on real
machines, but too much using virtual machines.

Jim