100% Linux - Is it possible?

Brian Fahrlander brian at fahrlander.net
Thu Feb 3 03:28:05 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-02 at 19:38 +0000, Pete Choppin wrote:
> I was just looking for a consensus on this...
>
> I have been working with Fedora Core 3 for the past month.  My new
> years resolution was to learn Linux.  So far, so good.
>
> I created a dual-boot Fedora / Windows XP.  I am now seriously
> considering going completely 100% Linux and dumping my Windows
> partition entirely.
>
> The question is - can you live completely without Windows, or do you
> sooner or later have to resort to Windows again?

    Why would I have to do that?  I've not run Microsoft in my home
since 1995 or so, and only at work at the point of a gun.  No, you don't
_need_ to run Windows, but people around you think you do.

    No one asked this when Win3.1 came out; DOS was clearly inferior as
a desktop. We all asked "Do I have to upgrade to Win95?" and many
didn't.  I find it unfair that the same people complaining about spam,
malware, fatal bugs that lead only to reloading, other bugs that lead to
a daily reboot, and constantly hold us at the point of a lawyer, could
be the same mouths that say "Load Windows on there."

    Linux stands on it's own.  While a handful of people are still
kicking the dirt, wondering if it's time to port their application to
Linux, that answer is decidedly YES, but wide discussion is yet to come.

    One day we didn't have faxe machines*. The last of those days was a
Tuesday of 1989, the night Peg Bundy used a fax machine in the plot of
Married With Children on the new Fox network.  Suddenly on Thursday all
kinds of places were advertising fax machines like they were at a fire
sale.

    Where are you now, Peg Bundy?

    *Fax machines have actually been around since at least the 1800's. A
mechanical device which carved wood was set up in two towns in France
for some kind of exposition, with just a wire between the two towns. It
actually worked, and the idea's been around since then, building slowly
through the 1970's when my Dad owned a service for faxing checks between
truckstops and transportation companies.  Not a new idea, for a long
time.
Brian Fahrländer                 Christian, Conservative, and Technomad
Evansville, IN                                http://www.fahrlander.net
ICQ: 5119262                                          AIM: WheelDweller