Broadband???

Chuck Sterling csterlin at zianet.com
Thu Feb 3 04:46:29 UTC 2005

Chuck Sterling wrote:
> Wolfgang Gill wrote:

>>> Thats fine for a simple NAT. For granularity and QoS, packet shaping
>>> for VoIP (vonage, etc), allowing true stateful packet filtering, port
>>> forwarding, etc; IPtables is a better solution.
>>>

>> That's what I use as well. The features that are not required can be
>> turned
>> off. I use the software firewall in Linux (Iptables) and I have one on
>> Windows
>> (Not the windows crap version though) as well. But as for broadband
>> configuration, I find an external router is much easier to configure. And
>> since this one also has a 4 port switch, I can connect to other PC's
>> on the
>> LAN as well. Plus mine logs on for me as well, so, I don't have to
>> write a
>> script to do that for me.
>>
>> Wolf
>> --
>> Open WebMail Project (http://openwebmail.org)
>>
> I'm going to hijack this thread for a moment since it seems pertinent to
> a problem I'm having. If this is out of line, please feel free to flame
> or ignore me as suits the situation.
>
> I have a DSL connection through QWest and a local ISP. Setting up the
> ActionTEC DSL modem using PPP0A and DHCP was trivial with Windows, as
> was the Linksys WRT54G four-port switch. Fairly painless other than the
> wireless, which I finally resolved to my satisfaction.
>
> You may have noticed this is being posted from a WinXP system; this is
> because under FC3, installed with the DSL active, I can do simple
> network things like ping to, say, google or to my workplace, but cannot
> get a browser (firefox as delivered) or up2date or yum to work. I should
> have saved my routing table and other items before posting this, and
> presented them here for review, but did not think of it in time. I will
> boot up FC3 and grab that info and post it as a reply to this note.
>
> I'm a bit confused and could use some help...
>
> Be back soon.
> Chuck Sterling

Well then, never mind. Upon restarting FC3 I found everything working.
It's possible, likely, that I was mistaken about the browsers not
working. In the case of up2date and yum I'm fairly sure that I just did
not wait long enough for anything to start displaying before giving up.
There are, if you do a full install, something like 720 updates to
install, and I suspect that there was preliminary processing going on
before progress was displayed. I got impatient. This evening I walked
away for maybe 20 minutes and found yum doing its thing when I returned.
I have not configured the news and mail clients yet, so am still posting
from WinXP.

Thanks if you've given this "problem" some thought; no fix needed now.

Best regards,
Chuck Sterling