fc3 and the intel high-definition audio 915 chipset

Gain Paolo Mureddu gmureddu at prodigy.net.mx
Thu Feb 3 06:58:47 UTC 2005

Donald Raikes wrote:

> TIA,
> Don Raikes
>

> Hello,
>
> Has any had any success using fc3 with intel's 915 (82801FB) chipset
> for high definition audio?
> I just purchased a new gateway pc whose motherboard includes this
> chipset.
> When I installed fc3 (kernel 2.6.10-1.741FC3), it is not recognizing
> the audio sub-system.
>
> When I do a lspci, I get the following info:
>
> 00:1b.0 Class 0403: Intel Corp. 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family)
> High Definition Audio Controller (rev 03)
>
> But when I try to use aumix to adjust volume, it says root cannot find
> the mixer.
> I llook in /dev and there is no mixer or pcm devices listed.
>
> Any suggestions appreciated.

> Is your PC infected? Get a FREE online computer virus scan from
> McAfee® Security.

You need the latest ALSA drivers, specifically the snd-azx driver,
please check http://alsa.opensrc.org and maybe
http://heidelberg.freshrpms.net, the first to lear more about HD audio
on Linux with ALSA, the second to see if you can find any alsa-1.0.8
precompiled RPM binaries for your kernel and your system (you will need
the alsa-utils, lib, and oss packages)