FC3 Up2date "custom kernel"

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Thu Feb 3 08:58:28 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-02-03 at 19:14 +1100, Nicholas Comino wrote:
> I've updated the kernel to 2.6.10 previously as part of installing
> additional drivers required for networking. With updates, I don't know
> enough to be particularly selective, I've been working through a few each
> day with a view to getting almost all installed or ignored. I'm stuck at the
> update for 'hal' with the following error:
>
> "There was a package dependency problem...
> hal-0.4.7-1.FC3     requires kernel >=2.6.10"
>
> I don't think I really need that particular update, solving this is more a
> learning and avoiding the issue in future. Previously I've been told not to
> worry about custom kernel warning in up2date. But can I revert to the rpm
> version of kernel2.6.10 (using up2date) without losing the additional
> indispensable networking drivers? It could be I'm misunderstanding the
> problem entirely.

The dependency problem you're having is because the RPM database doesn't
know that you're using a 2.6.10 kernel, because presumably you built
your own from source and are using that 2.6.10 kernel.

The neatest way to overcome this problem is to build your custom kernel
with the additional drivers you need as an RPM and install that, so the
RPM database will know about it. Instructions for doing this can be
found at:

http://crab-lab.zool.ohiou.edu/kevin/kernel-compilation-tutorial-en/

Paul.
--