cups web interface vs gnome printer management

Rakotomandimby (R12y) Mihamina mihamina at mail.rktmb.org
Thu Feb 3 09:27:06 UTC 2005

I'm using a Fedora core 2 system as client.
The server is a Debian Testing with CUPS too. the printing system is
working locally (on the server)
The problem is client-side.

- I dont know if my way to configure the client is right.
- I want to configure CUPS as client through the web interface. I dont
want to use the GNOME printer management, because I want to write a
tutorial, and not everybody use GNOME.
- CUPS and foomatic are installed on the client.
- The shared printer (which is on the server) is  a HP 3420 Deskjet USB.
- I already edited /etc/cups/client.conf to

NameServer <ip.of.the.server>

These are the steps I follow through the web interface :
- Printers
-> AddPrinter ( Name : SH ; Location : [emtpy string] ; Description :
Created)
-> Continue
-> (Device: AppSocket/HP JetDirect)
-> Continue
-> (Device URI : socket://192.168.1.1:9100)
    // The IP of the server //
-> (Make : Postscript)
-> (Model : Generic Postscript printer (en)
  // I have no other choice //

Then I get something like this :
http://faq.fcolc.eu.org/Members/mihamina/divers/cr1/image_view

Printing a test page does not work with this configuration.

Then if I go through the GNOME printer configuration tool (embeded with
my
fedora), I see that the printer is configurated as "Raw" one, with no
drivers available. Like This:

http://faq.fcolc.eu.org/Members/mihamina/divers/cr2/image_view

Anyway, printing a test page does not work with it.

I have to change it to Postscript printer to be able to print. Like
this:

http://faq.fcolc.eu.org/Members/mihamina/divers/cr3/image_view

The problem is after I save the changes, and go to the CUPS Web
interface,
The printer becomes this:

http://faq.fcolc.eu.org/Members/mihamina/divers/cr4/image_view

Know that I saw the difference between a working configuration and the
non-working one, I try to modify the existent printer, choosong all the
available choices to get to this
"Generic Postscript printer Foomatic/Postscript (recommanded)" one but
there's no way, the CUPS web interface does not list it.

Is it a packaging problem? I dont think so. Because if the CUPS web
interface can display the "Generic Postscript printer
Foomatic/Postscript
(recommanded)" that means it knows it. But I cant reach it!

Would you help me to find it out?
--
ASPO Infogérance       http://aspo.rktmb.org/activites/infogerance
Unofficial FAQ fcolc   http://faq.fcolc.eu.org/