cups web interface vs gnome printer management

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Thu Feb 3 09:58:22 UTC 2005

Rakotomandimby (R12y) Mihamina wrote:
> I'm using a Fedora core 2 system as client.
> The server is a Debian Testing with CUPS too. the printing system is
> working locally (on the server)
> The problem is client-side.
>
> - I dont know if my way to configure the client is right.
> - I want to configure CUPS as client through the web interface. I dont
> want to use the GNOME printer management, because I want to write a
> tutorial, and not everybody use GNOME.
> - CUPS and foomatic are installed on the client.
> - The shared printer (which is on the server) is  a HP 3420 Deskjet USB.
> - I already edited /etc/cups/client.conf to
>
> NameServer <ip.of.the.server>
>
> These are the steps I follow through the web interface :
> - Printers
> -> AddPrinter ( Name : SH ; Location : [emtpy string] ; Description :
> Created)
> -> Continue
> -> (Device: AppSocket/HP JetDirect)
> -> Continue
> -> (Device URI : socket://192.168.1.1:9100)
>     // The IP of the server //
> -> (Make : Postscript)
> -> (Model : Generic Postscript printer (en)
>   // I have no other choice //

Is there any particular reason why:

(a) you are connecting to the printer using "AppSocket/HP JetDirect"
rather than IPP and using the cups server on the debian system?, and

(b) you haven't configured the debian printer server to "publish" its
printers using something like:

BrowseAddress @LOCAL

in its cupsd.conf file? If you did that, all cups machines on the same
network with browsing turned on (it's on by default) would simply "see"
the printers on the server.

Paul.