tvtime in b&w?

Jim Higson jh at 333.org
Thu Feb 3 10:38:43 UTC 2005

On Thursday 03 Feb 2005 00:58, Paul wrote:
> Hi
>
> > > How do I get it to display colour and what do I need to do to transfer
> > > VHS tapes onto my PC.
> >
> > How are you connecting to the TV card?
>
> Scart to S-Video or Scart to phono. Same output, black and white.
>
> > It sounds like you might be getting just the luminance channel of the
> > signal to the svideo port on the tv card.
>
> Any ideas on how to fix?

With scart to S-vid I'd say your source doesn't support svid, but to composite
(phono) there shouldn't be a similar problem. Svid has two channels - one for
the luminance (brightness) and one for chrominance(hue/colour), it sounds as
if you're getting luminance but not chrominance.

Are you using some kind of adapter at the scart end? Scart has a lot of pins
for all kinds of things and not everything that has a scart socket supports
all of them. It could be that your adapeter is connecting pins that your
source doesn't support. Then again, composite is pretty much the lowest
common denominator and should really be supported.

Have you tried a simpler tv program in case tvtime is the problem? xawtv for
example.

In case it helps, I've put my ~.tvtime/tvtime.xml below, I have a very similar
setup to what you are trying (bt card, in the UK, set top box as source)

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE tvtime PUBLIC "-//tvtime//DTD tvtime 1.0//EN"
"http://tvtime.sourceforge.net/DTD/tvt
ime1.dtd">
<tvtime xmlns="http://tvtime.sourceforge.net/DTD/">
  <option name="InputWidth" value="768"/>
  <option name="DefaultBrightness" value="48"/>
  <option name="DefaultContrast" value="42"/>
  <option name="DefaultSaturation" value="70"/>
  <option name="DefaultHue" value="50"/>
  <option name="Norm" value="PAL"/>
  <option name="PrevChannel" value="99"/>
  <option name="Channel" value="1"/>
  <option name="FramerateMode" value="0"/>
  <option name="OverScan" value="1.0"/>
  <option name="CheckForSignal" value="1"/>
  <option name="AudioBoost" value="-1"/>
  <option name="AlwaysOnTop" value="1"/>
  <option name="QuietScreenshots" value="0"/>
  <option name="UnmuteVolume" value="12850"/>
  <option name="Muted" value="0"/>
  <option name="V4LInput" value="1"/>
  <option name="AudioMode" value="stereo"/>
  <option name="PalDKMode" value="0"/>
  <option name="DeinterlaceMethod" value="TelevisionFull"/>
  <option name="WideScreen" value="0"/>
  <option name="ApplyLumaCorrection" value="1"/>
  <option name="FullScreen" value="0"/>
  <option name="FullscreenPosition" value="centre"/>
</tvtime>

--
Jim