FC3 Up2date "custom kernel"

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Thu Feb 3 10:40:25 UTC 2005

Nicholas Comino wrote:
> Thanks - that is exactly the problem and solution (if I have to). Last
> quick question, if I went ahead and installed it by up2date would I lose
> the added on drivers?

Only if:

(a) the new kernel had the same name as your custom one (unlikely) and
hence overwrote it, or
(b) you booted into the new kernel rather than your custom one. But you
should still be able to boot back into your custom kernel and get your
drivers back.

I'd suggest building your custom kernel RPM first and get that going so
that you're comfortable with it. There wouldn't then be any chance of a
new kernel overwriting your custom one because RPM won't let you install
a new package if it has the same-named file in it as a
currently-installed package (this doesn't apply to upgrades but new
kernels are always installed rather than upgraded).

If your custom kernel appears to RPM to be "more recent" than the latest
official kernel, up2date won't even try to install the official kernel.

Paul.