cups web interface vs gnome printer management

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Thu Feb 3 10:45:51 UTC 2005

Rakotomandimby (R12y) Mihamina wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-02-03 at 09:58 +0000, Paul Howarth wrote:
>
>>Is there any particular reason why:
>>
>>(a) you are connecting to the printer using "AppSocket/HP JetDirect"
>>rather than IPP and using the cups server on the debian system?
>

> Yes. On the Debian system, I installed cupsys-bsd, and I read a notice
> about something talking about IPP not compatible. I do not really
> remember what was it about.

Well, cups itself can provide the IPP capability, and then talk to the
printer in its preferred way.

>>(b) you haven't configured the debian printer server to "publish" its
>>printers using something like:
>>
>>BrowseAddress @LOCAL
>>

> On the Debian server:
> The Browse* directives are
>   BrowseAllow 192.168.*
>   BrowseAllow 192.168.*
>   BrowseDeny All
>   BrowseOrder deny,allow
>
> I'm going to set to @LOCAL
>
>   BrowseAddress @LOCAL
>
> And see.
> [ 1 minute later ...]
>
> Hey!
>
> I directly see the shared printer on the "printers" page of the client CUPS!
> Uh! I'm David Coperfield now :-) I've done something magic! And you
> helped me.

This is because your cups server is now periodically telling everyone on
your LAN about the printers it has.

>>in its cupsd.conf file? If you did that, all cups machines on the same
>>network with browsing turned on (it's on by default) would simply "see"
>>the printers on the server.
>

> Through the GNOME printer tool, i could see the shared printer, but I
> did not see it untill I turned on the BrowserAddress setting.

The BrowseAddress address setting tells the cups server where to
broadcast the information about its printers. @LOCAL means "all local
interfaces, other than point-to-point interfaces", which results in the
broadcasts going out to your LAN.

If you look at the configuration for the shared printers on the clients,
they'll be using IPP to connect to the printer server.

Paul.