How many CPUs do I have?

Leon Stringer leon.stringer at ntlworld.com
Thu Feb 3 11:18:55 UTC 2005

Hi,

I've got a system with FC3 on that I can't easily get inside of.

Yesterday the kernel crashed (apparently when I reconnected a network
cable).

So I updated the kernel RPM from 2.6.9 to 2.6.10. I chose the SMP
version but now wonder if that's correct. On Windows some new Pentiums -
those with hyper-threading I believe - show as two processors in Task
Manager. /proc/cpuinfo shows two processors but top only shows 1.

So my questions are:

1. How many CPUs do I have? (See line from top and /proc/cpuinfo below).

2. Is there a problem running the SMP kernel package (e.g kernel-
smp-2.6.10-1.741_FC3.i686.rpm) on a single CPU system?

3. Would hyper-threading benefit from the SMP package?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Leon...
---
/proc/cpuinfo:
processor	: 0
vendor_id	: GenuineIntel
cpu family	: 15
model		: 3
model name	: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
stepping	: 3
cpu MHz		: 2995.275
cache size	: 1024 KB
physical id	: 0
siblings	: 2
fdiv_bug	: no
hlt_bug		: no
f00f_bug	: no
coma_bug	: no
fpu		: yes
fpu_exception	: yes
cpuid level	: 5
wp		: yes
flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca cmov pat
pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe pni monitor ds_cpl
cid
bogomips	: 5931.00

processor	: 1
vendor_id	: GenuineIntel
cpu family	: 15
model		: 3
model name	: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
stepping	: 3
cpu MHz		: 2995.275
cache size	: 1024 KB
physical id	: 0
siblings	: 2
fdiv_bug	: no
hlt_bug		: no
f00f_bug	: no
coma_bug	: no
fpu		: yes
fpu_exception	: yes
cpuid level	: 5
wp		: yes
flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca cmov pat
pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe pni monitor ds_cpl
cid
bogomips	: 5980.16

CPU line from top:
Cpu(s):  0.0% us,  0.0% sy,  0.0% ni, 100.0% id,  0.0% wa,  0.0% hi,
0.0% si