How many CPUs do I have?

Rob Kirkbride rob.kirkbride at thales-is.com
Thu Feb 3 11:23:16 UTC 2005

Leon Stringer wrote on 03/02/2005 11:18:

>So my questions are:
>
>1. How many CPUs do I have? (See line from top and /proc/cpuinfo below).

You have 2 logical CPUs Note that the physical id is the same on both..

>2. Is there a problem running the SMP kernel package (e.g kernel-
>smp-2.6.10-1.741_FC3.i686.rpm) on a single CPU system?

No, you will suffer a slight performance degradation due to the extra
locking in the SMP kernel but othewise it should work fine.

>3. Would hyper-threading benefit from the SMP package?

Debatable. It kind of depends what you're doing, for many activities it
can be faster. Certainly if you're using it for desktop type activities
it can be quicker - for server activities I'm not so sure.

Rob