Bittorrent - how to use on Linux?

Andrea Montenegro andrea_montenegro at fastmail.co.uk
Thu Feb 3 11:29:01 UTC 2005

John Wendel wrote:

> Jared Buck wrote:
>
>> I've got BT and the GUI installed, but Linux cannot seem to find them.
>> I do not know what directory they have been installed to, and a search
>> hasn't turned up an executable binary for bittorrent.  Can anyone help
>> me here?
>> Jared
>>

> When I run BT, I just use the following command, who needs a gui? Just
> put it in a script and supply the name of the torrent file as an
> argument. I usually run it from a virtual console so I can logout and
> leave it running (since I have to share this computer with she who
> must be obeyed).
>
> /usr/local/BT/btdownloadcurses.py \
> --display_interval 10 --max_uploads 4 \
> --responsefile $1 --max_upload_rate 32 \
> --minport 52000 --maxport 52100
>
> So the name of the BT executable is "btdownloadcurses.py" but you
> probably want "btdownloadgui.py". I installed it in /usr/local/BT, but
> it can be installed anywhere. I would think an rpm istaller would put
> it in /usr/bin.
>
> Make sure you poke a hole in your firewall for the incoming ports.
>
> Regards,
>
> John

I was wondering if anyone has experience the same problem with
bittorrent and FC3: I installed the version 3.4.2-1-1 from a rpm I found
on Internet; the program seems to work fine using the command line
"/usr/bin/btdownloadcurses --max_upload_rate 32 <torrent file>", except
for the fact that after a few hours my operating system stop responding
and I'm forced to shut down the machine using the power button. I tried
to login through ssh when the computer hang, but even that didn't work.

The operating system is very stable until I run bittorrent, and it runs
24 hours a day without a glitch. Is there a log file that can help to
better understand what causes the problem?

Thanks,
Andrea.