FC2 PCMCIA / Wireless Problems, Dell Latitude C840 Laptop

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Thu Feb 3 14:12:57 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-02-03 at 01:45, G-Love wrote:
> Just did a fresh install of FC2 on a Dell Latitude C840 laptop, and am
> having a bit of trouble with PCMCIA.  It appears as though PCMCIA
> services are not being started at all.  When I boot the machine, my
> wireless card is in slot 1, but I get no ack during boot that it was
> recognized.  Then, /sbin/cardctl status just after boot gives me:
>
> open_sock(): No such device
>
> I can get the PCMCIA services running manually by doing
> service network stop
> service pcmcia stop
> modprobe yenta_socket
> service pcmcia start
> service network start
>
> So, my question is two-fold:
>
> 1) How do I get pcmcia to start on boot? (As a side, I've installed FC2
> on other desktops/laptops and have not previously seen this behavior).
>
> 2) What further steps do I need to take once pcmcia services are running
>   to get my wireless nic working?  I've got all my network parameters,
> etc, handy, so that's not an issue.

With FC2 my experience has been that you need to tell your system NOT to
boot the PCMCIA NIC at start time.  Not sure if that is your problem
here.  If you tell it NOT to start at boot time the PCMCIA card will be
started anyway when the PCMCIA services starts.  In FC2 the PCMCIA
services get started after network services and their apparently is some
kind of race condition or problem if you try to start the PCMCIA card
before the services for it is started.

Hopefully that will take care of it for you.

Once you have PCMCIA services started you should be able to configure
your network settings for the card.  I use the network GUI usually for
doing this to set the SSID and WEP keys.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

He who wonders discovers that this in itself is wonder.
		-- M.C. Escher