Auto-responder with Sendmail

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Thu Feb 3 14:48:14 UTC 2005

Doug Coats wrote:
> I would like to set up an auto-responder with Sendmail.  I have used
> Vacation in the past but Red Hat has stopped including it on newer releases.
> I assume that is because there is a different way to do it that is "built
> in."  If some one could push me in the right direction I would appreciate
> it.
>
> I am using FC1 and sendmail 8.12.10.

I'm not sure why vacation was removed, as a lot of care had been placed
into its implementation so that it would not, for instance, auto-reply
to mailing list messages.

Any "solution" that doesn't include such checks is likely to result in
the ridiculing and unsubscription from mailing lists of whoever uses it.
So think carefully about whether you really want an autoresponder at all...

Paul.