Hello, and problem with Samba / CUPS on FC1

Nick Phillips nphillips at jesna.org
Thu Feb 3 15:53:39 UTC 2005

Hello to the list!

I'm the sysadmin of a small non-profit with all of our servers running some
version of Fedora. I'm having recurring problems with our print server,
which is running CUPS (cups-1.1.19-13) and Samba (3.0.7-2.FC1) on a
2.4.22-1.2194.nptl kernel. All of the office printers are set up with all
services disabled except for LPD, and CUPS is set to print through LPD (ex.
lpd://hp4050/raw) with all formatting done on user's Windows machines (all
running XP). For the most part it works fine with our main HP Laserjet 4050,
but I have recurring problems with another couple of printers, an HP
Laserjet 2300 and 4200. When I go to add a printer in XP for either of these
printers, right after I select the PCL driver to install locally, the Add
Printer dialog freezes. Then I see a bunch of hits on the firewall from the
XP machine to the server on port 135, which I've blocked (and I don't think
is necessary for CUPS, or am I wrong? I've tried temporarily opening the
port but the problem persists). Then SpoolSV.exe on the XP machine starts
climbing to around 60/70% CPU use on the XP machine and subsequently one of
the smbd processes on the Print Server starts climbing to a similarly high
CPU usage. The only solution is to force quit the Add Printer dialog, and
remove the printer, at which point both SpoolSV and Samba go back to their
normal CPU usage.

Has anyone seen this problem, and have any idea how to fix it? Any help
would be much appreciated! The relevant sections of smb.conf and
printers.conf are pasted below - cupsd.conf is unmodified

thanks,

Nick

.:

smb.conf:

[global]

    netbios name                = pcserver

    server string               = JESNA File Server

    null passwords              = yes

    workgroup                   = jesna

    hosts deny                  = all

    hosts allow                 = 192.168.2. 127.

    hosts deny                  = 192.168.2.32 192.168.2.33 192.168.2.34
192.168.2.35

    log file                    = /var/log/samba/%m.log

    max log size                = 50

    security                    = share

#   log level                   = 2

    encrypt passwords           = yes

    smb passwd file             = /etc/samba/smbpasswd

    socket options              = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192

    interfaces                  = 192.168.2.1

    bind interfaces only        = yes

    local master                = yes

    os level                    = 255

    domain master               = yes

    preferred master            = yes

    wins support                = yes

    dns proxy                   = no

    guest account               = jesna

    name resolve order          = wins lmhosts bcast

    use client driver           = yes

    disable spoolss             = yes

    load printers               = yes

    printing                    = cups