100% Linux - Is it possible?

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Thu Feb 3 16:36:21 UTC 2005

Goose Gosswiller wrote:
> Pete Choppin <pchoppin <at> comcast.net> writes:
>

>>I was just looking for a consensus on this...
>>
>>I have been working with Fedora Core 3 for the past month.  My new years
>
> resolution was to learn Linux.  So far, so good.
>

>>I created a dual-boot Fedora / Windows XP.  I am now seriously considering
>
> going completely 100% Linux and dumping my Windows partition entirely.
>

>>The question is - can you live completely without Windows, or do you sooner or
>
> later have to resort to Windows again?
>

>>--
>>Pete
>>

> You can do without windows but it really depends on what you are doing.
>
> I've been M$ free at home for some time, however, my wife refuses to use the
> Linux machine. It's a prejudice based on what she is used to -- we all are
> aflicted by it to some extent. As an example, Firefox and Thunderbird. Because
> they run on Linux they must suck, so there is resistance to even look (though,
> once I hid the IE icon from the desktop.....). Some of us welcome change, some
> don't.  (I use Firefox and Thunderbird exclusively -- if I find an eCommerce
> site that seems to require IE for their forms, I notify the vendor and I find a
> competitor to do business with.)
> The bottom line is you have to evaluate what you are doing and ensure that you
> can continue to do it without windows.
> I've found that on the homefront there is nothing I need to do that requires
> windows.....I may have to install a package or an update, but I can always get
> it done.
> The workplace -- that is a different subject alltogether.....
>
> cheers
> goose

Reading this shows a contrast.  My wife wouldn't even let me install
dual boot Linux Windows on our new computer.  Nor could I look at a
Mac.  Linux fully in our house since 1999 July when we dumped OS/2.

I do have a p90 with windows 95 stored in the basement.

At work I only use Linux and have been totally linux since last
August.  In all cases I have found a Linux program that will do what I
need.  I do have one issue with Autocad files but again I have found
solutions.

I do have two programs that I need windows for at home but I need to
get a > win98 version to run them and I just cannot be bothered.  They
are both for Free To Air Satellite TV.

Even my 8yr old is using Linux at home with no problems.

--
Robin Laing