100% Linux - Is it possible?

Whil Hentzen linuxnews at hentzenwerke.com
Thu Feb 3 16:46:16 UTC 2005

>>> The question is - can you live completely without Windows, or do you
>>> sooner or
>>

>> later have to resort to Windows again?

I have one Windows box here because I still have customers (software
dev) who need me to do dev on their Windows platform. But that's the
only time that box is used.

>>> --
>>> Pete
>>>

>> You can do without windows but it really depends on what you are doing.
>>
>> I've been M$ free at home for some time, however, my wife refuses to
>> use the
>> Linux machine. It's a prejudice based on what she is used to -- we
>> all are
>> aflicted by it to some extent. As an example, Firefox and
>> Thunderbird. Because
>> they run on Linux they must suck, so there is resistance to even look
>> (though,
>> once I hid the IE icon from the desktop.....).

I got my wife to change by explaining that I was too busy to keep
'fixing' her Windows machine. And I required her to use Mozilla (now
Firefox) because the first time she got nailed by a trojan, she saw what
it did to _her_ machine, and the time it took me to fix it - and the
risky position it put all of us in.

Once she got used to Mozilla, then we moved to OpenOffice.org on
Windows,which she hated for a couple of months, but got used to. And
then it was easy to move to Linux.

And our kids don't know any different - my 17 year old has her own SuSE
box, the 12, 9 and 5 year old all share a Mandrake box. And they all
know that we use Linux because "Windows isn't safe"....

Whil