How do i satisfy package dependencies?

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Thu Feb 3 18:15:57 UTC 2005

Igor Lumpus wrote:
> I cleaned out the whole /headers/ directory and made a new yum update
> but it came back with:
> Resolving dependencies
> ....Unable to satisfy dependencies
> Package php-ldap needs php = 4.3.8-2.1, this is not available.
> Package php-mbstring needs php = 4.3.8-2.1, this is not available.
>
> I wonder how come this has changed since my first failed yum update on Jan
> 30
> which did not had this dependencies problem.
>
> my URL's are:
> ftp.chl.chalmers.se/pub/fedora/linux/core/2/i386/os/
> ftp.chl.chalmers.se/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/2/i386/

Everything looks OK there.

You may also need to clear out the packages directory. But before you do
that, here's one more thing to try.

1. Get a list of your currently-installed php packages:

$ rpm -qa | grep ^php

2. For each of the listed packages, get the 4.3.10-2.4 version from the
ftp.chl.chalmers.se/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/2/i386/ site and put
them in a separate directory. You may find that they are already
downloaded to /var/cache/yum/updates-released/packages/, which might
save you some time.

3. Change to the directory you put the PHP packages in, and run this as
root:

# rpm -Fvh php*.rpm

Then try yum update again.

Paul.