FC3 and NTFS

Den Couf bercie23 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 3 19:30:32 UTC 2005

 --- Loren Lockwood <lockwoodlo at cantv.net> wrote:
> Hi all.  I'm very new at Linux.  Have tried a couple
> of distros and like
> FC3 best so far.  Some problems exist, though.  I
> have dual boot with
> Win2K using NTFS.  FC3 can't see that partition.
> Bumming around on the
> net I found out that seeing NTFS is an option which
> is turned off by
> default in the kernel of this distro.  To turn it
> on, they say I have to
> recompile the kernel.  That seems scary to me, but I
> found a site with
> very extensive instructions and decided to try it.
> But first I need the
> kernel source code.  Where do I find that?  I poked
> around in Red Hat's
> site, also Fedora's, but didn't find anything.
>
> Also, does this mean that every time a new kernel is
> issued I'll have to
> go through the same procedure?  Isn't there some way
> to get this option
> turned on by default?
>
> Your help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> BTW, I have read through a couple hundred emails
> from this list and not
> found any other references to this problem.  Can it
> be that nobody else
> needs NTFS access from FC3?  Is that why it's turned
> off by default?  I
> still need W2K for certain jobs, although I hope
> that the number of such
> jobs will approach zero as time goes by.
>
> Thanks.  -Loren
>
> --

Hey Loren,
i had the same problem here, but be sure, you don't
have to recompile your kernel.
Just browse to
http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/rpm/index.html and
follow the instructions. The only thing you have to
know is whenever you update your kernel, you have to
reinstall the right kernelmodules from the above site
(its not a standard in fedora-kernels, a pitty).

Bye,
bart