FC3 and NTFS

John DeCarlo johndecarlo at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 19:32:53 UTC 2005

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 15:24:39 -0400, Loren Lockwood <lockwoodlo at cantv.net> wrote:
> Hi all.  I'm very new at Linux.  Have tried a couple of distros and like
> FC3 best so far.  Some problems exist, though.  I have dual boot with
> Win2K using NTFS.  FC3 can't see that partition.  Bumming around on the
> net I found out that seeing NTFS is an option which is turned off by
> default in the kernel of this distro.  To turn it on, they say I have to
> recompile the kernel.

You don't have to do it yourself.  You can use the RPMs available at
linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net

> Also, does this mean that every time a new kernel is issued I'll have to
> go through the same procedure?  Isn't there some way to get this option
> turned on by default?

Yes, you will have to do this every time you boot a new kernel.

> BTW, I have read through a couple hundred emails from this list and not
> found any other references to this problem.  Can it be that nobody else
> needs NTFS access from FC3?  Is that why it's turned off by default?

It is simply a tribute to the volume of messages on this list.  If you
go to the archives for the list at:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/   you will find many,
many references to support for NTFS.

Why is it off by default?  Because Microsoft doesn't release all the
details, so there are trade secret or other related issues that scare
organizations off.  Especially big ones like Red Hat.

Also, it becomes dangerous to write to NTFS partitions, so the stable
support is read only.

--
John DeCarlo, My Views Are My Own