FC3 and NTFS

Matt Morgan minxmertzmomo at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 19:44:06 UTC 2005

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 14:32:53 -0500, John DeCarlo <johndecarlo at gmail.com> wrote:

[snip]

> > BTW, I have read through a couple hundred emails from this list and not
> > found any other references to this problem.  Can it be that nobody else
> > needs NTFS access from FC3?  Is that why it's turned off by default?
>
> It is simply a tribute to the volume of messages on this list.  If you
> go to the archives for the list at:
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/   you will find many,
> many references to support for NTFS.
>
> Why is it off by default?  Because Microsoft doesn't release all the
> details, so there are trade secret or other related issues that scare
> organizations off.  Especially big ones like Red Hat.

It's not fear. "The goal of The Fedora Project is to work with the
Linux community to build a complete, general purpose operating system
exclusively from free software" (http://fedora.redhat.com).

Fedora, as distributed, is (or aims to be) 100% free. Copyright issues
prevent the inclusion of NTFS software into the official distribution.