FC3 and MySQL, did it install or not?

Burke Even burke at bandcimages.com
Thu Feb 3 21:31:47 UTC 2005

> > If you installed FC3 "out of the box", mysql should run ok.
>

> As Steven indicated you will need mysql-server.
>

> > First:      check if you have installed postgresql and if it is running
> >                   #rpm -qa postgresql
> >                     postgresql-7.4.6-1.FC3.1
> >                         (is installed)
> >                #/etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql status or #service
> > postgresql status
> >             (see if it is runing)
> >
> > Second:     stop postgresql
> >                 #/etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql stop
> >             uninstall postgresql
> >                 #rpm -e postgresql
>

> This is bogus. Both databases can be installed, running and working
> alongside each other fine.
>
> Rob

Thanks all for responding. Apparently I missed something on the install. I searched the cd's and found mysql-server-3.23.58-13.i386.rpm - which was not installed.

Silly me, I thought mysql-3.23.58-14.i386.rpm was all I needed!

So I installed and updated it and ran mysql_install_db ok, and I now have a mysqld. But now the dameon won't run, it times out.

The mysqld.log says the table mysql.host doesn't exist, and 'innodb_data_file_path' isn't set. I don't think I need Innodb, just MyIsam table support.

And let's not forget the system log (I think, that's /var/log/messages, right?) - it says it denied { write } for exe=/usr/libexec/mysqld. I have enforce set to permissive, so I don't know if this is a problem or just a warning.

BTW - postgresql is not installed

Burke