Slightly OT: Greylisting success or failure stories?

Aleksandar Milivojevic amilivojevic at pbl.ca
Thu Feb 3 22:20:01 UTC 2005

David Hoffman wrote:
> I looked for any discussion lists about greylisting and haven't found
> any, so I thought I might try asking here.
>
> I'm considering adding greylisting to my postfix configuration, and
> some of the articles I have been reading about greylisting show that
> there can be any of several situations in which greylisting would not
> be a viable solution.

I've implemented greylisting on my basement mail server (two users, me
and my wife).

It works OK for mail that comes to the server directly, but can't do a
thing for forwarded emails.  If users have mail forwarded from server
that doesn't implement greylisting to your server, the spam will get
delivered.

Since addresses that I have forwarded are old ones that I still keep
alive just in case some old friend wants to say hello (and basically are
just collecting spam), I'm thinking about checking To and Cc headers
when email comes from those servers.  If it doesn't contain correct
address, reject it.  Personalized spam will still get through,
unfortunately.