Taking the plunge

Brian Fahrlander brian at fahrlander.net
Thu Feb 3 23:56:38 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-02-03 at 23:51 +0000, thebearwitchproject wrote:

> I just have a couple more questions. I have downloaded
> the printer thing and ADSL drivers someone mentioned,
> extracted them and burnt the to a CD-RW. Now when I
> put the disc in do I just double click on the relevent
> file to start the install, like I do in Windows?

    Not even remotely close; you really need to read that image you
burned for the release notes.  And when you start the thing, on the
first pass when it asks you if you want to test the disk, do so. It's
boring and such, but by doing so you could save a lot of trouble.  And,
then you'll know if it's safe to hand to friends.  :)

> My second question invlved DVD software. I currently
> use MainConcept to re-encode avi files and TMPGE to
> burn DVDs. Is there linux versions of these? If not
> can you recommend some good re-encoding and burning
> software?

   There's scads of that stuff; there's like three burners I can think
of off the top of my head, but I can't fully answer this particular
question.  Can anyone else?

   Good luck; you have my AOL/ICM/etc; if you get stuck drop me a line.

Brian Fahrländer                 Christian, Conservative, and Technomad
Evansville, IN                                http://www.fahrlander.net
ICQ: 5119262                                          AIM: WheelDweller