MegaRAID Slow Performance

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Fri Feb 4 01:21:52 UTC 2005

Chris Stark writes:

>>> I have a LSI MegaRAID i4 running in RAID 5 mode with 4 x 120 GB ATA
>>> drives as my "/home" partition. The write performance is deplorably bad
>>> (5 MB/s) but what's worse is that the system load shoots up to 15.0 or
>>> even higher when I transfer any file that takes longer than a couple of
>>> seconds. The system has quite a bit running on it (usually around 100
>>> processes), but the load normally averages around 0.02 - 0.8 (when not
>>> transerferring files).
>
>> Try adding elevator=deadline to your kernel line in /etc/grub.conf and
>> reboot.
>
> This certainly helped. The transfer speed is up a little (~ 7 MB/s) and
> the system load is down to ~ 5.75. This is a marked improvement, but the
> load still seems a bit high and the write speed a bit low.
>
> Is it just that this card is crap?

About a year ago I tried getting a Megaraid card working.  The retail box
proudly listed its supposed Linux compatibility.

I admit that the problem's ultimate cause were probably rooted in driver
bugs in an early FC kernel.

But, after receiving utterly inexcusable goober replies from Megaraid's tech
support mailbox, I just wrote them off as a lost cause.