Slightly OT: Greylisting success or failure stories?

Thomas Cameron thomas.cameron at camerontech.com
Fri Feb 4 02:34:07 UTC 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Hoffman" <dhoffman2004 at gmail.com>
To: <fedora-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Thursday, February 03, 2005 2:49 PM
Subject: Slightly OT: Greylisting success or failure stories?

>I looked for any discussion lists about greylisting and haven't found
> any, so I thought I might try asking here.
>
> I'm considering adding greylisting to my postfix configuration, and
> some of the articles I have been reading about greylisting show that
> there can be any of several situations in which greylisting would not
> be a viable solution.
>
> In particular they mention issues with how some MTAs break something
> in the RFC that makes greylisting work, and how receiving mail from a
> site which uses multiple relay hosts (each with a different address)
> can also cause mail to not be delivered.
>
> So I thought I would ask on the list to see if anyone has done much
> with greylisting and found it to be good or bad.
>
> I do also use the DNSBL lists, and some of my accounts also use TMDA.
> What I am hoping for is that with greylisting, I can further reduce
> the amount of spam mail traffic.
>
> Thanks.
> David

I have been using milter-greylist with Sendmail and I am *incredibly*
impressed.  Between SpamAssassin, spamass-milter, DCC, Pyzor, Razor, ClamAV,
clamav-milter, and milter-greylist, I literally receive no spam in my Inbox.
None.

About once every two to three weeks I get a really low-scoring spam that
makes it into my spam folder.  The rest are all rejected at the mail server.
Last time I checked the logs my mail server (used only by my family) was
rejecting something like 1600 spams per day.

I absolutely love it.

Thomas