FC2: hang at "Configuring kernel parameters" after uninstall old kernels

Choo Zhi Min zhimin at iss.nus.edu.sg
Fri Feb 4 02:43:24 UTC 2005

Hi,

Below are the kernel rpms I have, the one currently running is marked
with ^.

To reclaim disk space, I removed the old ones (those marked with *)
using rpm -e command and did a reboot. Grub automatically loaded the
latest kernel marked with !, but it hanged at "Configuring kernel
parameters". I chose the previous running kernel (marked with ^ below)
at grub menu at the next reboot, and it was booted successfully.

What is the reason for the hang up? Do new keenels depend on old ones to
bootup? I did a uninstall and reinstall of kernel marked with !, but the
problem persists.

Thanks and regards,
zm

*kernel-2.6.5-1.358.rpm