Options For Installing Fedora To Older Laptop

Robert L Cochran cochranb at speakeasy.net
Fri Feb 4 02:51:56 UTC 2005

Gain Paolo Mureddu wrote:

> akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:
>
>>>I don't think you will have any problem installing FC-3
>>>if you put in a new disk.
>>>192MB RAM is plenty for this purpose.

I did get Fedora Core 3 installed on the nice new laptop hard drive. Not
without 2 tragedies -- I'll explain in a separate thread. It is a good
thing I have a selection of wireless PC Cards. I couldn't get
ndiswrapper 1.0 to load properly on the 667 kernel, so my Buffalo 54g
card wouldn't work. I then popped in my SMC 2835w card, which uses the
Prism54 driver. After manually installing the firmware needed in
/lib/firmware, that got my network up.

Then I rebooted the machine to make the wireless card would come to
life. Instead Kudzu came up, and I told it to configure the wireless
card. Telling kudzu to configure a device usually works, but not this
time. It wiped out my ssid setting, which in turn hung eth0 by the toes.
I restored the ssid setting in the "System Settings --> Network Devices"
applet, and that got me connected to the access point again.

Now I have up2date running for the first time. As soon as it finishes
installing the numerous updates (tomorrow morning at the earliest on
this machine), I'll recompile ndiswrapper and see if I can return to my
Buffalo wireless card, which I can't live without. It has an external
antenna jack so I can connect my "cantenna" to it and get much improved
signal reception.

Bob