Slightly OT: Greylisting success or failure stories?

David Cary Hart Fedora at TQMcube.com
Fri Feb 4 02:59:32 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-02-03 at 20:34 -0600, Thomas Cameron wrote:
> I have been using milter-greylist with Sendmail and I am *incredibly*
> impressed.  Between SpamAssassin, spamass-milter, DCC, Pyzor, Razor, ClamAV,
> clamav-milter, and milter-greylist, I literally receive no spam in my Inbox.
> None.

I really dislike adding all that stuff.

With NONE of the above, using three RBLs and our internal rlbdnsd we
receive less than one spam per user per week. It's cleaner, faster, far
more efficient and requires absolutely no maintenance.

I should add that a great deal of spam is blocked with HELO checks. The
spam method du jour is to HELO with the recipient's host name or IP (as
a string). A cron job adds those to the dns rbl automatically as a
backup for when the spammers change tactics.

BTW, rbldnsd uses considerably less memory than NTPD. Blocking China and
Korea is an extremely effective technique. If we ever get a client in
the PRC, I'll be sure to whitelist them -;)

BTW, no spam = no viruses. However, we use mime checks to eliminate
potentially harmful attachments.