MegaRAID Slow Performance

Chris Stark cstark at hawaii.edu
Fri Feb 4 05:27:14 UTC 2005

>>I actually tried to find a new 3ware card out there, but the only ones I
>>could  find were either SATA or 64-bit PCI (my server mobo only has 32-bit
>>PCI slots). I suppose I should have looked harder. I'll probably just end
>>up getting an external firewire RAID 5 when I can afford it.

> You can run a 64bit PCI card in a 32bit slot (unless there is something on the
> board blocking the slots - but usually that only happens on maybe one slot on
> a decent board).
>
> This is from the 9000 series manual:
>
> * 64-bit PCI slots
>     Although the controller fits in both 32-bit and 64-bit PCI or
>     PCI-X slots with 5V as well as with 3.3V, install it in a 64-
>     bit slot to take full advantage of the controller's
>     performance.

Dammit! I really wish I would have known this two weeks ago. :(

Oh well, I guess better late than never.

I really ought to just get a new server box, but I'll probably have to
wait until I graduate. New server == too expensive for grad student income.

Thank you all for your help!

--
Chris Stark
Musician, Linux User, Grad Student