FC3 and MySQL, did it install or not?

Rob Kirkbride rob.kirkbride at thales-is.com
Fri Feb 4 07:50:14 UTC 2005

Burke Even wrote on 03/02/2005 21:31:

>Thanks all for responding. Apparently I missed something on the install. I searched the cd's and found mysql-server-3.23.58-13.i386.rpm - which was not installed.
>
>Silly me, I thought mysql-3.23.58-14.i386.rpm was all I needed!
>
>So I installed and updated it and ran mysql_install_db ok, and I now have a mysqld. But now the dameon won't run, it times out.
>
>The mysqld.log says the table mysql.host doesn't exist, and 'innodb_data_file_path' isn't set. I don't think I need Innodb, just MyIsam table support.
>
>And let's not forget the system log (I think, that's /var/log/messages, right?) - it says it denied { write } for exe=/usr/libexec/mysqld. I have enforce set to permissive, so I don't know if this is a problem or just a warning.

I'm not sure why you ran mysql_install_db manually. When you first do a
/etc/rc.d/init.d/mysqld start it initialises the database and starts
everything fine. It's possible by doing it manually you've done it as
the wrong user or something - it probably should be done as the mysql
user. You could try a /etc/rc.d/init.d/mysqld restart (as root) and see
if that sorts things out. Failing that you'll have to clean things up
and reinitialise - I'll defer to the docs or other people here for how
best to do that.

Rob