Has anyone dumped udev for devfs?

Rahul Sundaram rahulsundaram at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 11:02:35 UTC 2005

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 20:24:36 -0700, Kevin Fries <kevin at hcico.com> wrote:

> Any ETA on when udev is going to be ready for prime time?

it already is. its  the default for many distros including fedora,
mandrake, gentoo and so on

 And, any
> clue why Fedora insists on relying on a program that does not f*(&%ing
> work!!!!

it does work. if you have bugs file them. if any program with bugs has
to be excluded we would be left with nothing to ship. devfs has no
maintainer  and known bugs and  is scheduled for removing july 2005.

> I am trying to get a Microtek X12 USL scanner attached, and udev fails
> to mount it, every time.  Has anyone tried uninstalling udev and
> reinstalling devfs to stop all these damn usb failures?

devfs is a bad alternative for above mentioned reasons. file bugs in
bugzilla.redhat.com against udev

--
Regards,
Rahul Sundaram