Can I use i686 updates with Pentium II?

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Fri Feb 4 13:31:09 UTC 2005

Loren Lockwood wrote:
> My processor is an old Pentium II at 400 MHz.  I get update advisories
> for things at the i686 level.  Should I install them?

Yes.

An i686 is a Pentium Pro, an Pentium II (which is a reworked Pentium Pro
with MMX and a different interface), a Pentium III, or a derivative of
one of them.  i686 packages are also used for compatible processors
(Athlons, Pentium 4s, etc.)

James.

--
James Wilkinson       |  ... call the editors names I am not allowed to say in
Exeter    Devon    UK | print, like [censored] and [censored] with a