FC3 and NTFS

Paul subsolar at subsolar.org
Fri Feb 4 13:41:06 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-31 at 15:24 -0400, Loren Lockwood wrote:
> Hi all.  I'm very new at Linux.  Have tried a couple of distros and like
> FC3 best so far.  Some problems exist, though.  I have dual boot with
> Win2K using NTFS.  FC3 can't see that partition.  Bumming around on the
> net I found out that seeing NTFS is an option which is turned off by
> default in the kernel of this distro.  To turn it on, they say I have to
> recompile the kernel.  That seems scary to me, but I found a site with
> very extensive instructions and decided to try it.  But first I need the
> kernel source code.  Where do I find that?  I poked around in Red Hat's
> site, also Fedora's, but didn't find anything.

The easiest way is to install the kernel-ntfs RPM from
http://rpm.livna.org/fedora/3/i386/RPMS.stable/ that matches your
kernel.  I do this for the nvidia since it does not break dependencies
like installing nvidia's driver directly.

> Also, does this mean that every time a new kernel is issued I'll have to
> go through the same procedure?  Isn't there some way to get this option
> turned on by default?

>From what I understand there may be some patent issues with
reading/writing NTFS and so this is one of the reasons it's not included
in fedora.

Regards,
Paul