How can I install & configure WINE under FC3?

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Fri Feb 4 14:22:19 UTC 2005

On Thu, Feb 03, 2005 at 05:18:33PM +0100, Duncan Lithgow wrote:
> > # wine IEXPLORE.EXE
> >
> > Also, it may not be in your path, so you may have to give a fully
> > qualified windowsified path:
> >
> > # wine "c:/Program Files/Internet Explorer/IEXPLORE.EXE" &
> >
> > To find out where something is in your wine tree, try:
> >
> > find .wine -iname "*.exe" | less

That should have been:

find ~/.wine -iname "*.exe" | less
     ^^

This version will work even when you aren't in your home
directory. See: "info bash" on tilde expansion for the gory details.

> > or variations on that. For more information, "info find".
> Fantastic!!! Now it works - I had a feeling it was just me being silly. Next
> step: how do i add it to my 'path'?

You don't, since it requires wine. Instead, create an alias. Something
like:

alias IE="wine 'c:/Program Files/Internet Explorer/IEXPLORE.EXE'"

Now you can run Internet Exploder by entering "IE" at the command
line.

If you don't want to look at all the debug output in your term,

alias IE="wine 'c:/Program Files/Internet Explorer/IEXPLORE.EXE' 2> /dev/null"

Again, "info bash" for the gory details. I'll also let you read the
info pages for BASH to figure out how to make an alias permanent.

A lot of what I've just done is mid to entry level shell stuff. See
the several good documents on BASH at the Linux Documentation Project
for more information there.

> That's really great - if i can get it working with java then we can get into
> our internet banking. That's the last thing we're using windows for (other
> than ArchiCad)

Can't help you there. Try the Wine web site or users' list (in that
order). I suspect someone there will know how to do it.