Sound problems with FC3 on Sony Vaio laptop.

Gary Stainburn gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk
Fri Feb 4 16:09:39 UTC 2005

Hi folks.

I've just upgraded my laptop (Sony Vaio PCG-GRT996VP) from FC1 where I
had no sound to FC3.  I now have sound, with the mixer reporting the
sound driver as SiS S17012. I can't see anything in modules.conf or
modprobe.conf relating to sound though, which is surprising.

[gary at dcomp5 ~]$ cat /etc/modules.conf
alias eth0 sis900
alias usb-controller usb-ohci
alias usb-controller1 ehci-hcd
alias ieee1394-controller ohci1394
alias floppy off
alias char-major-195 nvidia
# Note: for use under 2.6, changes must also be made to modprobe.conf!
[gary at dcomp5 ~]$ cat /etc/modprobe.conf
# Note: for use under 2.4, changes must also be made to modules.conf!
alias eth0 sis900
alias usb-controller ohci-hcd
alias usb-controller1 ehci-hcd
alias ieee1394-controller ohci1394
alias char-major-195-* nvidia
install floppy /bin/true
[gary at dcomp5 ~]$

The problem I have is that although the volume controls work, the sound
that I hear is stuttered, as though the needle on a record is sticking.

Anyone know how I fix it?

--
Gary Stainburn