Has anyone dumped udev for devfs?

Stefan Held obi at unixkiste.org
Fri Feb 4 17:23:12 UTC 2005

Am Freitag, den 04.02.2005, 11:15 -0600 schrieb Thomas Cameron:

> I have to agree with Kevin on this.  I am really amazed at the whole udev
> debacle.  To me it seems that we are trying to adopt a form of "Plug and
> Play" for Linux.  While the concept is cool, I wonder if it is really
> necessary.  What I mean is, the old method (tons of files in /dev) Just
> Worked(TM).  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

So it really had worked? Hmmm. I plugin my USB Stick got it mount to the
Desktop, i plugin Mouse and other Stuff and Xorg loads it.

Afaik as Linux goes to the Desktop it should be in there.

As we are all FC3 User we know that using the newest Distribution is
something like beeing a Test Object for the Developers. You wan't stable
and well tested feature's? Stay one Release behind.

You wan't bleeding egde? Well then install the newest Release.
But installing the newest Stuff and whining that it doesn't work as you
expect it is not clever.

Just my 2 Cents.

> Now having said that, I am not a programmer so I am not sure how much work
> it has been to keep all of those special files.
>
> Thomas

Grets

--
 Stefan Held                    VI has only 2 Modes:
 obi at unixkiste.org              The first one is for beeping all the time,