Slightly OT: Greylisting success or failure stories?

Aleksandar Milivojevic amilivojevic at pbl.ca
Fri Feb 4 17:49:06 UTC 2005

David Cary Hart wrote:
> We've beaten this to death but we authenticate SMTP with SASL AuthD (as
> do many ISPs). This does not require additional ports.

And here we go in circle again...

> Roaming users aren't the issue. This pertains exclusively to a third
> party contact that happens to be traveling in a banned area and needs to
> send email. In that event, when that occurs, I'll deal with it.
> Meanwhile, 100% of the email that we have ever received from servers in
> China and Korea has been spam. We have no business reason to accept mail
> from either area.

I guess you also have company policy of not employing anybody who might
know anybody from China? ;-)

> We're not an ISP. My machine - my rules. End of story.

I never said how you should configure your machines, eh.  I only argued
about blocking entire countries in general.  Somebody in China might as
well say that only email he gets from US is spam.  And than we all live
in our little small vilages again.  And get the same amount of spam we
were getting while we were living in global world.  It's kind of
pointless at the end of the story.