Has anyone dumped udev for devfs?

Stefan Held obi at unixkiste.org
Fri Feb 4 17:52:48 UTC 2005

Am Freitag, den 04.02.2005, 11:38 -0600 schrieb Thomas Cameron:

> I guess what I am saying is, I would like it if someone could explain the
> benefit of udev vs. the old method.  I am not trying to be argumentative -
> this is a legitimate request for knowledge.

Q: How is udev related to devfs?
A: udev works entirely in userspace, using /sbin/hotplug calls that the
   kernel makes whenever a device is added or removed from the kernel.  All
   naming policy, and permission control is done in userspace.  devfs
   operated from within the kernel.

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/hotplug/udev-FAQ

The most signifikant Answer in this FAQ is that udev only controls
creation of /dev/ device stuff. Udev will not handle Kernel releated
things like loading an driver, as devfs did.

Most of those plug and play devices are handled by hotplug. So why is
there a need for this stuff in devfs. Thats why devfs is marked obsolete
and udev is the new way.

As someone else has stated it allready, the problem showing up with this
scanner has nothing to do with udev. It's hotplug and USB related.

( Read the answer from Paul )

> I'm sorry, what is "Grets?"
>
> Thomas

misspelled greetings :-)

--
 Stefan Held                    VI has only 2 Modes:
 obi at unixkiste.org              The first one is for beeping all the time,