Attaching a monitor to a laptop.

HaJo Schatz hajo at hajo.net
Fri Feb 4 17:58:05 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-02-04 at 09:36 -0800, Nick Ruffo wrote:
> I am trying to attach my LCD monitor to my laptop
> using SuSE 9.2 but the function keys on my laptop do
> not work so I can't switch to the external VGA port. I
> am using a Dell 700m. I am in the process of
> installing Fedora 3 is it possible to get this to work
> with Fedora?
Some of these FN-Fxx keys seem handled by the BIOS itself, some seem to
rely on userspace programs. I have seen cases where these keypresses
seem to have been reported through ACPI.

If yours doesn't work under Suse, it likely won't work (out-of-the-box)
in Fedora either. But depending on the Video adapter you have, you may
be lucky with a user-space tool polling the event. In the worst case you
could call a script through a different key-combination defined in your
WM. But this is not really Fedora-specific, Suse could also do that.

Depends on your video adapter...

--
HaJo Schatz <hajo at hajo.net>
http://www.HaJo.Net